How to Pray for Military Recruits in Basic Training
They’ve shared their hearts with us. Now it’s time to pray them through this season.
Right now, brave men and women are training to become Soldiers in the U.S. Army. They’ve left their homes and families to serve, protect, and defend you and me.
Over the course of ten weeks, new recruits go through Basic Combat Training. There, they learn tactical and survival skills through drills that push them to their mental, physical, and emotional limits.
It’s grueling. It can be lonely at times. And not everyone makes it through. These recruits need to know they have someone to lean on. They need reminders from God’s Word.
This year alone, with your prayerful partnership and the support of U.S. Army Military Chaplains, 9,000 New Testaments have been given to new recruits. Spiritual growth classes are also being offered. In partnership with Cru Military (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ Military Ministry), new recruits meet together, learn about Jesus, and discover how to rely on him for every need. One staff member said, “The room is packed every Sunday with the Soldiers. About 500 Soldiers attended yesterday. Three Soldiers accepted Christ and two Soldiers rededicated their lives.””
Praying for our Soldiers:
Here are some specific requests from U.S. Army recruits in training who’ve shared their hearts with us. Please lift them up in your daily prayers.
- Families back at home.
- “I ask that you pray for my family and loved ones so that they are doing well and are happy.”
- “Please pray for my mom who hasn't seen me for two months and is saying in her letters that she is lost without me being home.”
- Strength and motivation.
- “I pray for the mental and physical strength to make it through the next couple days.”
- “To give me strength and endurance to finish what I’ve come so close to accomplishing. To not let me give up.”
- Healing for injuries, aches, and pains.
- “Healing for my ankle. Prayer for my stress fracture to heal properly. Strength to get through these hard times and prayer that I graduate on time.”
- “Pray that God gives me the strength to keep going, takes the aches and pains away, and helps me to continue to be a positive light for those around me.”
- Spiritual Growth.
- “Pray that I share the gospel freely, give God all the worries, and be BOLD in Christ.”
- “I need prayer to keep staying calm and to not argue with people. I've been good these past few days and I want for people to see what a Christian is like.”
Are you a Service member, Veteran, or family member of someone in the military? Get relevant Bible resources through American Bible Society’s Armed Services Ministry.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.