Pray for Puerto Rico as Millions are in Desperate Need of Help
Join us in asking God to help and comfort millions of Puerto Ricans devastated by Hurricane Maria
On September 20, 2017, the beautiful island of Puerto Rico was devastated by Hurricane Maria.
This Category 5 storm was the strongest hurricane to hit Puerto Rico since 1932. The storm’s 155 mph winds caused widespread damage to Puerto Rico's aging power grid, knocking out 100 percent of the island’s power.
One week after Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, 97% of the island’s inhabitants still don’t have power. Overcrowded hospitals are turning to power generators to continue caring for their patients, but this is only a temporary solution.
About half of the island’s 3.4 million residents do not have running water. Food supplies are running out. Thousands of homes and businesses have been destroyed.
In this moment of desperation and grief, we turn to God.
The Bible reminds us in Psalm 50:15 (CEV), “Pray to me in time of trouble. I will rescue you and you will honor me.”
Let us respond to this invitation from God by praying for the people of Puerto Rico.
Will you pray with us?
5 Ways You Can Pray for Puerto Rico:
- Ask God to comfort those who are suffering. Pray that God draws close to Puerto Ricans and fills their hearts with the love and peace they need to endure.
- Pray for more shipments of food, drinkable water, and medical supplies. Pray that the Coast Guard will be successful in clearing all ports for cargo deliveries and that distribution will reach all people on the island.
- Pray that electricity will be restored soon. Ask God to make ways for people to contact their loved ones.
- Pray for funds. Ask God to bring in the money needed to help people who have lost everything.
- Ask God to give leaders wisdom. Pray leaders will make wise decisions for the people of Puerto Rico and the future of the island they call home.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.