Regional Prayer Focus: Bible Access for Africa
God’s Word crosses boundaries to reach hearts in Africa
When you live in a remote community, chances are you haven’t been exposed to much outside of your village and your people. So when strangers arrived in Kemi’s small village in Nigeria with a projector, she was curious. What happened next would change Kemi’s life forever.
“When I watched the "JESUS" film and saw how he was beaten, I cried,” Kemi shares. “I found it difficult to believe that an innocent man who did no wrong laid down his life for others who deserved to die.”
Kemi accepted Christ as her Savior. Then she was given her very own Bible. Through Scriptures in audio and print, Kemi learned more about God. Now she wants to introduce others in her community to Jesus Christ.
Bringing God’s Love to Remote Communities in Africa
There are millions of people in Africa just like Kemi who are still waiting to hear the good news that Jesus loves them. They live in remote communities with low literacy rates, limited resources, and few churches. They lack access to God’s Word in a language and format they can understand.
Thankfully, one of our faithful partners called End-to-End is making God’s Word accessible for Africans in hard-to reach places. End-to-End is a multi-part ministry that goes into remote villages in Africa and reaches people with the message of the Bible. First, End-to-End shows screenings of the "JESUS" film, which is based on the Gospel of Luke. This is followed by audio Bible listening groups in the local language, personal Scripture provisions, and new churches in places where none existed before.
And God’s Word is transforming lives in many African nations. Here are some of the highlights from 2018:
- Benin. 630 new believers and 22 new churches planted.
- Ethiopia. 821 new believers and 149 new churches planted.
- Gambia. 1,000 new believers and 27 new churches planted.
- Ghana. 135 new believers and 6 new churches planted.
- Liberia. 376 new believers and 11 new churches planted.
- Sierra Leone. 155 new believers and 9 new churches planted.
Praise God for the new believers, church plants, and changed lives resulting from End-to-End ministry. Let’s pray that God’s Word would continue to cross boundaries into places where the name of Jesus has never been heard.
3 Ways to Pray for Africa:
- Pray for all the people who are meeting God for the first time through his Word. Ask God to lead them in their walk with Christ.
- Ask God to guide and protect all the ministry workers who are in the field sharing God’s Word with those who need it.
- Pray for God to bless this ministry so that it can reach even more people with the hope of the Gospel in the weeks and months ahead.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.