Regional Prayer Focus: Healing for the Middle East
Jesus is healing wounded hearts in war-torn nations
For years, ISIS has terrorized communities in the Middle East. Luma, an Iraqi woman, experienced this first-hand when her city, Mosul, was attacked. Luma and her family survived the attack by fleeing to Erbil, but their house and all their possessions were destroyed by fire.
Now living in a refugee camp, Luma is traumatized. She has lost her home, her community, and the ability to support herself. Luma is overwhelmed with grief and sorrow. She feels starved of all hope.
But that’s not where Luma’s story ends.
Healing Broken Hearts in the Middle East
Millions of people in the Middle East have suffered trauma. In the midst of the devastation, local Bible Societies and churches are addressing the region’s overwhelming trauma epidemic though Bible-based trauma healing.
Bible-based trauma healing uses the healing power of Scripture to help people heal from the deep wounds of the heart and mind. Under the guidance of local ministry leaders, each healing group uses art, stories, and activities to walk people through their pain.
When Luma joined a trauma healing group in her refugee camp, she had no idea the impact God’s Word would have on her life. As the group discussed topics like suffering, grief, and forgiveness, Luma learned of God’s presence with her. She learned that he has never left her side, even in the midst of her suffering. Armed with this knowledge, she prayed and released her pain to God. And he healed her!
Last year in the Middle East, more than 4,300 people across eight nations experienced Jesus’s love through trauma healing ministry:
- Bahrain. 551 people impacted
- Jordan. 972 people impacted
- Syria. 940 people impacted
- Turkey. 156 people impacted
- Iraq. 657 people impacted
- Lebanon. 722 people impacted
- Egypt. 105 people impacted
- Palestine. 228 people impacted
Trauma Healing TV
We thank God for new creative ways to spread the healing power of Scripture. Through a televised adaptation of the Bible-based trauma healing curriculum, God’s Word can reach diaspora communities scattered throughout the Middle East like Iranian emigrants. Recorded in Farsi, this TV program will reach an estimated 8,160 Iranians.
God is moving powerfully in the Middle East. Let’s continue to pray for more people to encounter God’s peace and comfort through trauma healing.
3 Ways to Pray for the Middle East:
- Pray that Bible-based trauma healing brings comfort to Middle Eastern men and women struggling to make a new beginning in foreign lands.
- Pray that God will strengthen the Middle Eastern churches carrying out this important ministry, even in the midst of persecution.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will grant courage to church leaders who are considering launching new trauma healing ministries in their communities.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.