The Bible for America: A Prayer Guide
Your prayer roadmap for Scripture engagement efforts in America
One of our greatest passions at American Bible Society is seeing Americans transformed through Bible engagement.
Will you join with us today in praying for Bible engagement to grow and for God to transform people through his Word?
Here are a few details to help you pray specifically.
People’s perceptions of the Bible are shifting, and overall Scripture engagement is on the decline in the U.S., according to the State of the Bible survey. Over the last 6 years, the survey indicates that
- Bible skepticism has doubled, moving from 10 percent to 22 percent of Americans as identified Bible skeptics.
- The percentage of Americans who view the Bible as sacred literature has dropped, from 86 percent to 80 percent.
- The percentage of Americans who say the Bible is not a sufficient guide for meaningful living has risen from 23 percent to 33 percent.
Despite this downward shift in Bible engagement, there is hope. Scripture encourages us that God’s Word is powerful and effective, and it contains everything needed for life and godliness. The State of the Bible survey also reports that two-thirds of Americans believe the Bible contains everything a person needs to know in order to live a meaningful life.
- Bible skepticism in the U.S. to shift. Ask God to open the hearts of those who have negative perceptions of Scripture to explore and be transformed by the Bible. Pray for Christians to actively engage God’s Word and faithfully represent Christ to others.
- Current Efforts. Ask for God to bless and guide these efforts. Pray for Americans to actively explore the Bible across various channels of culture.
- Scripture engagement to grow through city-based church collaborations. Ask God to open doors with key church leaders in five cities we’ve worked with this year. Pray for God to bless churches in the U.S. as they encourage congregants to actively engage Scripture and grow in their relationship with Jesus.
If you’d like to share your prayers, please do so in the comments section below. We’ll share these prayers with the team to encourage them as they continue to work to share God’s Word with those who need it most in the U.S.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.