6 Quotes About the Bible from the Founding Fathers
Discover how the Bible influenced the leaders who shaped our nation.
Happy Independence Day!
From the signing of the Declaration of Independence to the Civil Rights movement to today, God’s Word has inspired American heroes and ordinary citizens to pursue liberty and justice for all people.
As you celebrate the spirit of liberty that gave birth to our nation 241 years ago, take a moment to reflect on these quotes about the Bible from six men who played a key role in the founding of our nation, including two early presidents of American Bible Society—Elias Boudinot and John Jay:
- John Adams: “The Bible contains the most profound philosophy, the most perfect morality, and the most refined policy that ever was conceived upon earth.”
- John Quincy Adams: “[The Bible] is of all books in the world that which contributes most to make men good, wise, and happy.”
- Elias Boudinot: “Were you to ask me to recommend the most valuable book in the world, I should fix on the Bible as the most instructive, both to the wise and ignorant.”
- John Jay: “Let us therefore persevere steadfastly in distributing the Scriptures far and near, and without note or comment. We are assured that they ‘are profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Tim. 3:16).’”
- Thomas Jefferson: “The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend all to the happiness of man. … Had the doctrines of Jesus been preached always as pure as they came from his lips, the whole civilized world would now have been Christian.”
- Benjamin Rush: “The Bible contains more truths than any other book in the world.”
This 4th of July, no matter how you celebrate the political freedom established in our nation’s founding era, let us give thanks for the book that is still changing lives and bringing spiritual freedom to people around the world:
There is no condemnation now for those who live in union with Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit, which brings us life in union with Christ Jesus, has set me free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8:1-2 (GNTD)
Want to learn more about the American founders and their relationship with God’s Word? You can:
- Discover two new books about the American founders and the Bible.
- Read about Benjamin Franklin’s lifelong friendship with the preacher George Whitfield.
- Learn more about the forthcoming Faith and Liberty Discovery Center at American Bible Society’s headquarters in historic Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to stay in touch with how God is changing lives with his Word!