5 Ways to Pray for Your City
Join us as we pray for God’s Word to bring hope to the people of your city
The witness of the first Christians is astounding. The small band of Jewish men and women, radically transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit, would eventually go on to change the world. But it all began with an incredibly loving community. A community devoted to one another. Listen to how Scripture describes this close-knit community:
All the believers continued together in close fellowship and shared their belongings with one another. They would sell their property and possessions, and distribute the money among all, according to what each one needed. (Acts 2:44-45 GNT)
Simply put, they were there for each other. They made sure that each person’s needs were met. It is this Christian community and others throughout history that have been and will continue to be the greatest witness of Jesus.
Caring for Your City Through God’s Word
Today, churches are still caring for their communities in the same way the early church did. They are caring for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of the people in their cities. And in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic, along with social and political unrest, the church is rising to the task of providing much needed support for those suffering trauma.
To address the needs of communities in need of healing, churches are offering Bible-based trauma healing ministry. The ministry helps churches become places of healing for others. It uses God’s Word to bring healing to those suffering deep wounds of the heart. Using effective, field-tested program models, materials, and training, people in the church learn basic trauma healing skills so they can support those who are suffering.
The church stands ready to bring God’s hope to our cities. Through the power of prayer and the healing found in God’s Word, we can see our cities restored and transformed. Join us as we pray for our cities.
How to Pray for Your City
- Healing for the hurting. Ask God to heal lives devastated by trauma. Pray for the restoration of individuals and communities to wholeness. Also pray for the healing of communities impacted by racism. I cried to you for help, O LORD my God, and you healed me. (Psalm 30:2 GNT)
- Guidance for churches. Pray for the churches in your city to be renewed in their efforts to reach their cities with God’s Word. Ask God to guide churches as they seek to meet the needs of their city using programs like trauma healing ministry. The LORD says, “I will teach you the way you should go; I will instruct you and advise you.” (Psalm 32:8 GNT)
- Transformation for cities. Pray for God’s Word to penetrate every sector of society— family, business, education, media, government, and entertainment—sparking godly revival in every city across America. “In the same way your light must shine before people, so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16 GNT)
- Wisdom for leadership. Pray that God will give the leaders wisdom to make decisions and to govern with integrity, justice, and mercy. But the wisdom from above is pure first of all; it is also peaceful, gentle, and friendly; it is full of compassion and produces a harvest of good deeds; it is free from prejudice and hypocrisy. (James 3:17 GNT)
- Salvation for all. Pray that people’s hearts will be opened to repent of their sins and confess Jesus as their Savior. “I tell you for certain that everyone who hears my message and has faith in the one who sent me has eternal life and will never be condemned. They have already gone from death to life.” (John 5:24 CEV)
To download our prayer guide “5 Ways to Pray for Your City” click here.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.