Kickstart the New Year with these 5 Powerful Prayers
Focus your heart on seeking God and watch as your purpose and passion are renewed
What can we expect this year? There’s no telling. If 2020 taught us anything, it’s how unpredictable a year can be. But one thing we can be sure of is that the Lord’s kindness never fails, (Lamentations 3:22). Although 2020 has been filled with challenges, God’s mercies are new every day. God loves to shower his children with love and compassion. As we enter the new year let’s remember, God is kind. This year commit to seeking him and let him show you his kind heart. Here are five prayers to draw near to God this year.
- Lord give me fresh hope. Hope is a powerful weapon. It brings boldness and confidence in God. Hope invites God to come and fight our battles. “Let your hope keep you joyful, be patient in your troubles, and pray at all times.” – Romans 12:12 (GNT) God thank you for hope. Teach me to wield this weapon powerfully so I can use it to propel me out of darkness.
- Lord make me a student of your Word. The Bible gives us glimpses into God himself. Taking hold of Scripture allows us to understand God’s heart and to walk in his authority. “Your word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path.” – Psalm 119:105 (GNT) God, thank you for your Word which leads me into all truth. Increase my desire to read, study, and apply your Word daily.
- Lord connect me to your Spirit. God’s Spirit comforts us and teaches us. He also empowers us to live out every purpose God has for our lives. “But when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you will be filled with power and you will be witnesses for me in Jerusalem, in all of Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth.” – Acts 1:8 (GNT) Holy Spirit, I surrender to your guidance. Teach me to operate in your fullness. Today I choose to follow wherever you lead me.
- Lord give me a heart of worship. We were created to worship God. When we worship him, we remind ourselves of who he is- his power, wisdom, and holiness. “Come, let us bow down and worship him; let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker!” Psalm 95:6 (GNT) God, I love you. Help me grow into the sort of worshipper that you are seeking, one that worships you in spirit and in truth.
- Lord use me to do good works. God’s people have a mandate to reveal the Kingdom of Heaven. Ask the Holy Spirit how you can use your talents to point people to Jesus. “Make your light shine, so that others will see the good that you do and will praise your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:16 (CEV) God, show me how I can pour good works into my community. Whether it’s through prayer or serving those in need, I pray I will be a light that points others to you.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.