Wow! In 2022, Bible Societies Translated Scripture for 723 Million People
Join us in thanking God that millions can now engage God’s Word in their heart language.
April 11, 2023Print this article
Today we rejoice that in 2022 Bible Societies around the world completed Scripture translations in 81 languages used by 723 million people.
Through their dedicated efforts and your faithful prayers, millions can now access and engage with the Bible in their heart language.
Here’s a look at the extraordinary work that was done this past year.
2022 Bible Translation Highlights
Bible Societies completed several projects:
- First Scripture translations in 57 languages used by 100 million people, including the first full Tày Bible for Vietnam’s second largest ethnic group.
- New or revised Scripture translations in 25 languages used by over 623 million people, including major languages such as Marathi (83 million speakers), Kurdish (15 million speakers) and Kyrgyz (5 million speakers).
- Scripture portions in 20 sign languages, including translating portions from Mark into Congo Sign Language.
- Braille Scripture into two languages, including the Lango Bible for visually impaired people in the Lango sub-region of Uganda.
- Bible Study editions in 8 languages used by 451 million people, including four full Bible study editions in Bengali, Gujarati, Dutch and Portuguese.
Increased Access to Digital Scripture Translations
Launched just over ten years ago, the Digital Bible Library is a repository for digital Scripture translations. It enables secure storage and more efficient sharing of Scripture in different languages and formats.
At the end of 2022, through the contributions of Bible Societies and other Bible agencies, the Digital Bible Library contained 3,200 Scripture texts in 1,900 languages. It also contained 1,500 audio Scriptures.
Thanks to the Digital Bible Library, people worldwide can access Scripture in their own language through websites and apps such as YouVersion and Global.Bible.
How You Can Pray
Praise God for his grace, wisdom, and provision which has enabled Bible Societies operating in over 240 countries and territories to translate and distribute God’s Word. But there are still more than 2 billion people for whom God’s Word does not exist in the language they speak every day.
Your prayers can help change that. Your prayers can help bring God’s Word to those still waiting. Join us as we pray that every person will discover God in the pages of Scripture.
Father, we give you thanks for the millions of people who now know who you are and how much you love them, through your Word. Thank you for your guidance and help in reaching these people. We pray that you will continue to bless all efforts to share your Word with those who live in hard-to-reach areas, hostile areas, and places where your Word is scarce. Strengthen every Bible Society and Bible agency endeavoring to reach the least, the last, and the lost. We pray that every person will hear the gospel of Jesus in a language and format they understand. We pray this in Jesus’s name. Amen.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.