Regional Prayer Focus: America and the Bible
Pray Americans turn to God’s Word daily
I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was standing at my desk, listening to a co-worker share her grief over her declining health and debilitating bouts with depression. I listened and prayed with her. Then I suggested she read the Bible for encouragement, but she responded, “Thanks, but the Bible isn’t exhaustive.”
My friend didn’t think the Bible had answers for the problems she was currently facing. She thought it was just an old book.
For Americans, this is all too common.
According to a Gallup survey, 26 percent of Americans see the Bible as “a book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts recorded by man.” But the Bible is actually God’s inspired words to us. Through it, he speaks to us and gives us hope. The Bible is a lamp that still guides us today, no matter what situation we face.
“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105 (GNT)
Americans and the Bible
Today, many Americans are not connecting with the life-giving messages found in the Bible. We want to see that change! American Bible Society, together with various partners, are working to re-establish the importance of connecting with God through his Word.
We want the Bible to be the first thing people turn to for hope, strength, and guidance. We are providing God’s Word throughout our nation to:
- Local churches. In cities like New York, Charlotte, Kansas, Philadelphia, we are working with local pastors to provide Scripture resources for new believers and community outreaches.
- Prisoners. Over 4.6 million Scripture resources have been distributed in prisons and jails since 2001. These include the Hope Awakened Bible and Bible-based Trauma healingresources.
- Active duty servicemen and women, Veterans, and their families. Since 1817 we have delivered 60 million free Bible resources to our U.S. Forces. A new resource is helping military women dive into God’s Word.
- Multi-language homes. We are providing digital Scripture resources for non-English speakers in the U.S. including print on demand materials in 21 languages.
- Law enforcement. More than 5,000 Bibles have been distributed to police officers in 25 states. Police officers are drawing strength from God’s Word using this suite of Bible resources.
Our prayer is that Americans will read God’s Word daily and allow God to speak to them through it. Will you join us?
Let’s Pray Together:
God, we thank you for your Holy Word. Thank you for speaking to us through your Word. We pray your Word will be a guiding light for every American- the place they go to meet with you.
Thanks to the support of our faithful financial partners, American Bible Society has been engaging people with the life-changing message of God’s Word for more than 200 years.
Help us share God's Word where needed most.
Sign up to receive regular updates on our work and learn how you can pray for Bible ministry in the U.S. and around the world.